PaperDemon Art RPG

Open group | 1251 Members

Being a Creator with Depression

1. Posted on Jan 21, 2019, 4:38:26 AM UTC
    ID: 29159 | #2
    hushicho
    Level 33
    XP

Well said! I think not enough is said seriously about creativity and depression, especially together. Yet so many of us do struggle with depression. For various reasons, though often I think it's to do with the fact that artists tend to see what should be, or what shouldn't, and are typically "ahead of the curve", so to speak -- so being surrounded by a world that's constantly behind really does drag a person down. Whatever the person's specific reasons, whatever the cause, it's imperative that they prioritize self-care, learn to let themselves deal with things, that it's okay, and express themselves about it. Get it out, it needs an outlet!

I'm very glad to see you addressing this in such an honest and eloquent manner. I hope we'll see more that can touch the lives needing it most.

2. Posted on Jan 22, 2019, 2:32:33 AM UTC
    ID: 29160 | #3
    Nyatara
    Level 1
    XP

Hello Hushicho - thank you for your great comment/reply. Its been a long road for me to get to this place, but yes; I'm having to learn what a lot of people are having to learn - that self care needs to be paramount. I hope this little view into my experience is in some way helpful to others, becuase writing was cretainly helpful to me. Thanks, again!

3. Posted on Jan 22, 2019, 11:00:05 PM UTC
    ID: 29161 | #4
    Alexandria
    Level 30
    XP

I have MDD {and PTSD} too, and could relate to a lot of what you wrote - I've got to learn to stop beating myself up, since I always wish I could be more productive, but you're right in that just feeling 'the want to' is enough. :)

Last edited by Alexandria on Jan 22, 2019, 11:00:28 PM UTC. 1 total edits.

4. Posted on Jan 24, 2019, 6:29:45 AM UTC
    ID: 29163 | #5
    Nyatara
    Level 1
    XP

Hello Yuri - thank you so much for your reply. And for sharin, yourself! It takes a lot to get to the point where sharing is a little less scary, so I want to recognize your strength in that 

And yes, even just the the desire to create is a thing worth cultivating. After all, "the want to" is a very necessary step on to actually doing the creating!

Thank you, again!

Quick Reply

🔒 This topic is locked and is not accepting replies.