View all forum posts by Reikaza

Home » Forums » Posts by Reikaza

Posted on

On Mar 5, 2009 4:30 am, FOERVRAENGD said:

I need to ask first of all: what is OCD?

Wikipedia, it's your friend. Smile
Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) is a mental disorder most commonly characterized by intrusive, repetitive thoughts resulting in compulsive behaviors and mental acts that the person feels driven to perform, according to rules that must be applied rigidly, aimed at reducing anxiety by preventing some dreaded event or by resolving a more nebulous sense of tension.

I have OCD, especially about certain things, though I don't think I have it quite that bad. I don't mind odd numbs and don't pay attention to the number of steps I take, I don't need symmetry all the time, and I can stand to step on a crack in the pavement.

However, books/magazines and boxes in a verticle stack always need to go from largest surface area (at the bottom) to smallest (at the top), I need to wash dishes in a certain order (frying pans, utensils, glasses and mugs, plates, bowls, and then whatever is left), any clothing I hang to dry needs to be separated in a certain way, and any clothing I take off the drying rack needs to be separated by type (take off and ball the socks, then fold under garments, then pants, then the shirts).

That said, how does one even become a psychology teacher like that? Maybe my future isn't so bleak after all. XD

Posted on

Great! Thanks for that, it's nice and easy now. Smile

Posted on

DDDD:

I would love to commission you for a lovely full digital piece, except that instead of being a poor college student I'm a poor 'trying to live in your own house for the first time while being under 21' worker. I'm not sure when I'll be able to get any spare money.

Hey if you're still accepting commissions two years from now... Heh... D:

Posted on

On Feb 24, 2009 2:25 am, arkillian said:

On Feb 24, 2009 2:14 am, insomniac said:

or just for the sake of feeling more comfortable.

Using this as a loose definition of comfortable... being that's you're peeing in your pants potentially. Usefull netherless

... If you're questioning how a FtM trans person might feel more comfortable, then let me remind you it's most likely a psychological, emotional comfort. Not a physical one.

If I'm completely misunderstanding your comment, never mind me.

Posted on

I can only see it coming in handy when visiting countries that do not have western style toilets. Like restrooms in Turkey.

Posted on

Goodness, I don't really have much I can be truly proud of... I'm really not that good of an artist. Of everything I've uploaded on PD though, this is my most accomplishing piece:

art thumb - A commission piece I did (unfortunately, I never received payment for T_T). Since then I have changed hair painting techniques, so the style done on it sort of irks me, but this is probably the best show of anatomy I have. Also, I was given something fairly hard to work out in a logical, realistic way and I pride myself on trying to make things as realistic and believable as possible. Overall, I'm very, very pleased with my "translation" of it.

And, well, this one is very old and really inexperienced, but I still find it very cute:

art thumb

Posted on

On Feb 9, 2009 3:28 pm, blackwinddragon said:

I personally don't believe tracing is art form (unless it's supposed to be taken as some sort of message) -- I would even argue that tracing doesnt really count as a teaching tool; you're following lines that aren't your own, and with tracing you cant learn from your mistakes since your following every single line that the artist made (in other words, you cant make mistakes to learn from).

I agree, except for when you trace the outlines of an existing piece and do your own thing with shading and colouring in order to practice techniques. However, art practice should not go in the main art galleries. I am very fond of Paper Demon's set up, compared to other galleries it feels much more professional in my opinion. I have barely uploaded art here because I feel the art gallery should really only have my best, most serious art effort. If I were to throw up practices or sketches, etc., it would not be in my art gallery.

As far as the tracing rules go, I think they're perfectly okay. The only problem comes with when Paper Demon expands to be much larger. There will be so many cases to review, and so many staff members with varying opinions, that things might get messy.

On Feb 10, 2009 9:26 pm, saurgristiel said:

On Feb 10, 2009 8:04 am, BogusRed said:

An alternative policy would be that we would not allow tracings, copies, or paint overs at all unless:

• A) the work is drastically changed from the original OR
  • B) it is posted to the user's image folio (these would not appear in the art gallery)

The image folio works great for a lot of things that we don't allow in our main gallery such as photography and photo manipulation. And its not that we don't consider those things "art," its that our gallery is more focused on drawing and painting and I'd like to keep it that way.

I like the alternative policy. It's like dA's scraps section. And I like the 3 categories of personal galleries here too (Finished, WIPs and Sketchbook).

Another gray area is art that is like Orioto's on dA. He takes a picture/portrait as a base (like for shadows and stuff) and paints over it, but drastically changes it (like turning Ricky Schroeder into Sasuke *or something*). He doesn't always cite the original picture, but that's something to think about too.

Orioto's work I would consider photomanipulation. I used to watch a user on deviantART who painted over photos, but also completely changed them, and she always listed it as photomanipulation.

Posted on

Topic: Real Man

'Balls' is not a vulgar word and therefore does not need censoring. If you're uncomfortable with physically typing out 'balls' in that context, choose another word for it.

Posted on

On Feb 21, 2009 12:08 pm, BogusRed said:

On Feb 21, 2009 5:03 am, Reikaza said:

Thanks! Hmm, I've tried focusing on just one box before but I never feel like I'm doing it correctly that way. It might help more with traditional techniques though.

Yeah a teacher once told me it wasn't the right way to do it but since it worked for me to just do it. I had to do a few photo realistic paintings in school and that was really the only method that worked for me. otherwise my painting was an unfocused mess.

Now I'm a professional and still doing it that way because it works. Don't listen to anyone telling you one way is the 'right way' and the other is 'wrong.' There are so many methods to drawing and painting, you just gotta go with what works for you.

Indeed. If it works, then who cares? Everyone is different. It's sort of like stingy people trying to define what is art and what isn't, and what it means to be an artist and such. Everyone is an individual, you can't make a rule on it precisely.

Posted on

On Feb 21, 2009 8:26 am, Sliverbane said:

Back when PD had a media section I posted original songs I made for my OC. I'm always putting together themes for my characters. 

Ooh! That's awesome. Smile