PaperDemon Art RPG

Open group | 1304 Members

Art Schools

1. Posted on Feb 15, 2011, 11:06:16 PM UTC
    ID: 25755 | #1
    zekaiyu
    Level 1
    XP

Anyone going to/finished with and art school?

If you're comfortable saying, which one, and what's it like?

Last edited by zekaiyu on Feb 15, 2011, 11:06:57 PM UTC. 1 total edits.

2. Posted on Feb 17, 2011, 5:48:38 AM UTC
    ID: 25759 | #2
    BogusRed
    Level 281 ADMIN
    XP

I have some thoughts on this. I graduated from a public state school and have done recruiting for artists at both my school and private art schools in California.

I went to San Jose State where I received my Animation/Illustration BFA degree. It's not a private art school, but it's one of those rare and amazing schools that has an awesome illustration and animation department. The student work is at a level higher than most art schools and it's a fraction of the cost. When I was going there, tuition was about $3000 per year.

My personal feeling is that a lot of private art schools (not all) aren't honest with their students and their abilities. In order to improve as an artist, you need to be told honestly what drawing skills you need to improve. But these private schools tell you "oh you're doing great!" even when you aren't. Because if you believe that you're doing well, you'll keep paying them gobs of money. So, it's in their financial interest to lie to you. You end up leaving school believing you're better than you may actually be, not learned as much if they would have been honest with you, and student loans that will put you into debt several years.

On the flip side, my school SJSU was ruthless. You were told when your work wasn't good enough and you had to pass a portfolio review to get into the program. They were brutally honest, which means you improve as an artist. You end up leaving the school with strong work ethic and skill but your self confidence is diminished.

I've seen students with terrible portfolios at these fancy art schools (I wont name names here but message me directly if you're interested). They think they're artwork is amazing and to be honest, their work is no where near the level it needs to be to get a job anywhere. These poor kids end up with tremendous debt and they aren't good enough to get a job in the industry to pay for it. It's really sad.

So be very careful about the school you decide to go to. I will say that Rhode Island School of Art and Design is a really good private art school. The team I was recruiting for consistently saw high quality work coming from that school. Like other private art schools though it is pricey. 

Hope this is helpful.

Quick Reply

🔒 This topic is locked and is not accepting replies.