PaperDemon Art RPG

Open group | 1302 Members

Assorted suggestions

1. Posted on Feb 28, 2010, 2:42:14 AM UTC
    ID: 25035 | #1
    lirodon
    Level 1
    XP
    1. Update the editors to CKeditor, its the updated "new" version of FCKeditor, it looks alot nicer too.
    2. Make the UI less "bereaucratic". Yes, some actions have a bit too much "red tape" to go through. There shouldn't need to be pop-up windows for comments, there should be a ready comment box right there to use.
    3. Please, let the regular users have a comment box on their pages. This is a regular feature almost every social network/art site has, and having this as a "premium" feature is just nuts.
    4. Re-organize the top menu, this one's a bit complex:
    5. I think it should be more like:
      (USERNAME) | Submit | Inbox | Notices

The username menu would replace the members menu, and the submit submenu would be moved out of it into its own menu. The Profile/Account settings menu would become either a page with all the options there, or a "submenu" that branches out. Either that, or speed up the animation there.

6. Think we could get some integration with other sites? Like, YouTube? Twitter? Etc?

7. I can't seem to find a time zone option

8. For selecting an "application" under the digital menu, think you could add stuff like OpenCanvas and SAI? Or maybe even an "other" option?

Last edited by lirodon on Feb 28, 2010, 3:15:19 AM UTC. 1 total edits.

2. Posted on Mar 2, 2010, 5:23:42 AM UTC
    ID: 25039 | #2
    ladyHisoka
    Level 10
    XP

On Feb 27, 2010 6:42 pm, lirodon said:
    [quote]

1. Please, let the regular users have a comment box on their pages. This is a regular feature almost every social network/art site has, and having this as a "premium" feature is just nuts.

[/quote]

This one has potentual to be abused; Ever seen the dark side of deviantArt you will knwo what I mean OH thats right chex0r keeps hideing her BS form teh world i wonder what will happen the one day she really screws it up!

OH, thats gonna ge a good sight for these soar eyes specaly since i subbed countless complainted bout the Log showing suspishious activity on my DA account to her.

3. Posted on Apr 5, 2010, 5:27:35 PM UTC
    ID: 25104 | #3
    lirodon
    Level 1
    XP

On Mar 1, 2010 9:23 pm, ladyHisoka said:
    [quote]

On Feb 27, 2010 6:42 pm, lirodon said:
    [quote]

1. Please, let the regular users have a comment box on their pages. This is a regular feature almost every social network/art site has, and having this as a "premium" feature is just nuts.

[/quote]

This one has potentual to be abused; Ever seen the dark side of deviantArt you will knwo what I mean OH thats right chex0r keeps hideing her BS form teh world i wonder what will happen the one day she really screws it up!

OH, thats gonna ge a good sight for these soar eyes specaly since i subbed countless complainted bout the Log showing suspishious activity on my DA account to her.

[/quote]

Uhh, okay?

4. Posted on Apr 5, 2010, 8:29:20 PM UTC
    ID: 25105 | #4
    BogusRed
    Level 281 ADMIN
    XP

Hi Lirodon. Thanks for the suggestions. These are all great ones.

A few comments...

#1 CKeditor - thanks! I didn't realize there was a new fancy version out. I'll try to get this updated as soon as I can. But it's always a pain in the butt to update it :P

#2 - a new ajax commenting system is in the works which will no longer have pop ups. It's taken a little longer than expected to get that out.

#3 - premium members have chat boxes. I don't have anything against adding a commenting feature to profiles. But it's low on my priority list at the moment.

#4/5 - that sounds good to me. I'll make that adjustment soon.

#6 - Could you be a bit more specific?

#7 - it doesn't exist yet but has been on my list of TO DOs for a while.

#8 - I can add OpenCanvas and SAI but I'm not ok with adding an "other." if your art doesn't apply to any of the applications, then don't select one. Any time we've had an "other" gallery, it's gotten abused and doesn't serve much of a purpose in the long run.

Thanks for all the comments. Let me know what you meant specifically by #6. And please note that I'm the only developer and PaperDemon is just something I run in my spare time. i have a full time job and familial responsibilities. So major changes to the site can take time.

5. Posted on Apr 9, 2010, 7:05:09 PM UTC
    ID: 25108 | #5
    lirodon
    Level 1
    XP

Number 6 would involve improving this site's integration with other forms of social media, this could include:

• Being able to have our Twitter feeds as a block on the user page, and maybe some API integration to allow it to be automatically updated if we post something new could be good too
    • Maybe some of those "share to Facebook/Twitter/etc" buttons
    • Being able to directly embed stuff from video sites in select areas (YouTube, etc)

I think I can live without a comment box period since it'd just fill up with spam and "thanks for the fav/watch/potato" messages anyway. SheezyArt is turning into a mess, and has been showing some massive issues lately.  Until TASP launches, this could be a good alternative. If I could encourage migration somehow, we could have some more active users, and maybe some people who could step up to help with the backend.

I also kinda sketched out what I meant about the menu, how it expands out is kinda awkward, it'd be easier if the submenus "popped out" instead of being in the same menu shape, it's a tad awkward.

Also, about the avatars overhanging the bottom border of the postbit on the forum, is this a bug, or is it a stylistic design?

Last edited by lirodon on Apr 9, 2010, 7:30:22 PM UTC. 2 total edits.

6. Posted on Apr 12, 2010, 4:34:59 AM UTC
    ID: 25110 | #6
    BogusRed
    Level 281 ADMIN
    XP

Hi Lirodon,

Thanks again for the suggestions. We do have a share button on artwork entries which you can click to share art on twitter, facebook, myspace, etc.

showing a person's twitter status on their profile is coming at some point. it's part of a greater profile redesign that i'm working on but wont be finished with for probably 6 months.

you can share youtube videos via the [youtube] code. Just click the [codes] link at the bottom of the text editor for details.

The avatar hanging over was a happy accident. i didn't intend it that way but when i saw it I liked it.

Last edited by BogusRed on Apr 12, 2010, 4:35:34 AM UTC. 1 total edits.

7. Posted on Apr 20, 2010, 2:51:09 AM UTC
    ID: 25119 | #7
    lirodon
    Level 1
    XP

Saw the AJAX comments, nice stuff there. Also one more suggestion, on the PM's page (which, on the other hand, I think should be counted along with Notices), why don't the comments have little red x buttons in the corner like art notices?

8. Posted on Apr 22, 2010, 8:08:25 PM UTC
    ID: 25131 | #8
    BogusRed
    Level 281 ADMIN
    XP

Hi lirodon. Glad you like the new ajax comment system. 

The code for the PMs is literally like 5 year old code. It's probably the oldest messiest code on the site. It's embarrassing actually. It needs to be completely rewritten. Once I get to it, I'll rewrite it to have ajax functionality so you can quickly click an 'x' to delete a message. I also want to make the interface easier to use.

Once the PMs and comments get moved from the "Inbox" page to the members portal, I can combine them with notices. But right now, combing the two into the same link wouldn't make sense since the page with the notices doesn't show your comments and PMs.

Last edited by BogusRed on Apr 22, 2010, 8:09:05 PM UTC. 1 total edits.

Quick Reply

🔒 This topic is locked and is not accepting replies.