PaperDemon Art RPG

Open group | 1285 Members

No more Advertisements on PD!... at least for a while

1. Posted on Jun 21, 2006, 10:29:19 PM UTC
    ID: 10133 | #11
    ArkillianDragon
    Level 275 BETA ADMIN
    XP
    Would Firefox have stopped the popup s or what ever? I have firefox. Then again, I concentrate on the content, and block out the crap. Is this the links at the bottom too for google?
  2. Posted on Jun 21, 2006, 11:48:06 PM UTC
    ID: 10135 | #12
    fablespinner
    Level 36 BETA
    XP
    On Jun 21, 2006 3:29 pm, arkillian said:
    [quote]Would Firefox have stopped the popup s or what ever? I have firefox. Then again, I concentrate on the content, and block out the crap. Is this the links at the bottom too for google?
    [/quote]

I have the newest version of Firefox with the "Adblock Plus" installed...
    it blocks pop-ups, google ads, just about everything.

^_^
  3. Posted on Jun 21, 2006, 11:54:16 PM UTC
    ID: 10136 | #13
    ArkillianDragon
    Level 275 BETA ADMIN
    XP
    On Jun 21, 2006 4:48 pm, fablespinner said:
    [quote]On Jun 21, 2006 3:29 pm, arkillian said:
    [quote]Would Firefox have stopped the popup s or what ever? I have firefox. Then again, I concentrate on the content, and block out the crap. Is this the links at the bottom too for google?
    [/quote]

I have the newest version of Firefox with the "Adblock Plus" installed...
    it blocks pop-ups, google ads, just about everything.

^_^[/quote]

That's probably it then. My brother keeps me up with the play with the best browsers- I'd have the latest version then *nods* Go the goodness :)
  4. Posted on Jun 22, 2006, 12:42:15 AM UTC
    ID: 10137 | #14
    BogusRed
    Level 281 ADMIN
    XP
    On Jun 21, 2006 3:29 pm, arkillian said:
    [/quote]

*shudder* pop ups.... i never have and never will have pop ups at any of my websites.

The only ads we've ever really had here at PD are google text ads (and occasionally google image ads). Sometimes I throw in image ads for our Cafepress store but for the most part it's been google text ads.

The ads were in a few different places. On every page there was a row of links at the bottom in a red font. On all of the gallery and library pages there was a small block showing one or two ads at the top (right above the thumbnails). Also when viewing an artwork entry or when reading a story there was a row of four ads at the top.

Firefox doesn't come with the Adblocking thingy by default but you can install it separately. I purposefully made teh Google text ads blend in with the page so that the ads look like they are part of the content. But i think a lot of people have that ad blocking thingy in Firefox now so not as many peeps see the ads. That's ok. The revenue I've been getting from the Google ads has been really sufficient to cover hosting costs.

These Google ads will return in a couple months.

The RC will most likely remain ad free as it has almost always been. I tried having ads on there a LONG time ago back in the early days of the RC and it only lasted a few months because the ads I had were lame. They were not Google ads but image ads for specialty stores.

Last edited by BogusRed on Jun 22, 2006, 1:06:29 AM UTC. 1 total edits.

5. Posted on Jun 22, 2006, 1:21:28 AM UTC
    ID: 10138 | #15
    ArkillianDragon
    Level 275 BETA ADMIN
    XP
    My brother threw in a bunch of plug ins too- I believe ad-block was one :) There was also a whole heap of others that I've forgotten about simply cause I never see them work ^^; Firefox rocks :)

Quick Reply

🔒 This topic is locked and is not accepting replies.