PaperDemon Art RPG

Open group | 1285 Members

Post 10310 - Propper presentation of artwork

1. Posted on Jun 30, 2006, 2:39:40 AM UTC
    ID: 10310
    BogusRed
    ADMIN
    On Jun 29, 2006 2:06 pm, Axel X Sora said:
    First off I am sorry to say I do not agree with you here.  People should have the right to post anything ANY WAY they want here on PD and/or RC because it is there art.

So whatever happened to freedom of speech and freedom of the press here in America?

On Jun 29, 2006 2:10 pm, Vincent Valentine said:
    [quote]I have to agree with Hikaru here, everyone has a right to post the way they want.  :)  Sorry, but I believe she is right.

Mirasa Loyd[/quote]

You can have your opinion and feel free to disagree with this rule. And I encourage the members here to voice their opinions on PD.

However, this website isn't within the public domain. It is privately owned. It is not  your right to post artwork here. It is your privilage. Same goes for DeviantArt, SheezyArt, YGallery, Elfwood, and every other art gallery website out there. I'm providing a service here and in order to enjoy the services here people need to follow the rules. If they don't, they lose their privilages to post their art. Using the whole "we have freedom of speech" or "we have the right" is not a valid argument on this topic because that only applies to places within the public domain.

If you'd like to have freedom of speech with your artwork on the web, feel free to find a web hosting company that doesn't have restrictions against adult content or similar restrictions (good luck). Or build your own server for hosting your work so that you aren't limited to your web hosting company's content restrictions.  Then build your own website and showcase your artwork the way you want to.

To clarify, this rule isn't about not allowing Works in progress. This is about the presentation of works in progress. WIPs are a major part of this website because this website is about growth. It's about growing as an artist or a writer. And if your artwork isn't presented well enough, then the viewer is too distracted by things like palletes and poorly photographed artwork that they can't properly analyse the artwork and provide meaningful feedback.

I'm not saying you can't do it on other websites. If you want to post screenshotted WIPs on DeviantArt, feel free to do so. Just don't do it here.

On Jun 29, 2006 6:58 pm, Minimaid said:
    [quote]This is a very very open website.  People should be happy with that, and not upset at what rules Susie -does- put up.  She is not outlawing WIPs...  And in my humble opinion, WIPs are actually easier to understand when you are looking at -just the picture-, and not a ton of boxes and palettes and whatnot.

Thanks for hearing me out, if you read this.  :)
    [/quote]

As Minimaid said, this site is pretty open. There are a lot of art websites that don't allow adult oriented content. This site is one of the few that does. So there may be things you don't like about the rules here but remember there are also a lot of things you CAN do here that you can't do else where.

On Jun 29, 2006 1:55 pm, arkillian said:
    [quote]I totally hear you BR- Screen shots are ugly- my best friend (in the non net world!) does this and it annouys me- simply cause she has an ugly colour scheme and well- what wrong with SAVING the pic. You have to anyways :( If you need two pics at once, save them together. You don't need to see palettes or brag about programs or whatever reason peoples do this. Thanls for bringing this up Susie ^^ *huggles*
    [/quote]

Thanks Arkillian. I knew I wasn't alone in this. But even if the colors aren't really bright, it's still distracting. I also think it's a statement about yourself instead of about your art. Like you are trying to say to the world "Look! I know photoshop!" instead of what it should be "Look at my artwork!"

On Jun 29, 2006 2:06 pm, Axel X Sora said:
    Sure the pantlets do take away from there art alittle, but it is also showing how they are doing there work and such.  And in some cases it may help people in that way because they can ask the artist how they are doing certain things and such with the program they are using.  Also it shows what kind of technique that person may being using.

I stated in my first post that if the image is intended as a tutorial then it's fine. I can't see how displaying a screenshot of your artwork is useful NOT in the context of a tutorial other then perhaps seeing how many layers the artist uses and what is on each layer. But if the artist wants to give out that information, they can take a separate screen shot of just the layers pallete or their whole screen and post it in their Image Folio and then link to it from their artwork description, rather than including the layer's pallete and other photoshop content as part of the artwork submission.