PaperDemon Art RPG

Open group | 1303 Members

Fantasy Gallery?

1. Posted on Sep 1, 2007, 5:57:18 PM UTC
    ID: 19166 | #1
    BogusRed
    Level 281 ADMIN
    XP

So we have a fantasy art gallery here. My original intentions for this gallery were that it was for things based on Tolkein's fantasy as in Elves, Wizards, Dragons, Knights, Dungeons&Dragons, Zelda, etc. But I find that a lot of people put things in there that are not THAT type of fantasy but are still fantasy in the general sense.

I'd like to perhaps rename the gallery to something that makes more sense so that users know that by 'Fantasy' we mean elves, wizards, etc. What do you think that name should be? Or should we just allow anything thats fantastical? Should we create a second gallery for just the Tolkein like stuff?

What say you?

2. Posted on Sep 2, 2007, 4:28:19 AM UTC
    ID: 19179 | #4
    Eshkenazi
    Level 9 LOCKED
    XP

You could always create a seperate "High Fantasy" or "Sword and Sorcery" gallery to differenciate from a more generalize fantasy.  Whenever there's a general "Fantasy" theme, I include far more than just the typical sword and sorcery themed stuff.  So I guess you may need a "General Fantasy" and a "Sword and Sorcery" (And the reason I suggest that instead of "High Fantasy" is because it's more straight forward as to what probably fits in that category) gallery to break down what is otherwise a very, very broad genre.

3. Posted on Sep 2, 2007, 4:42:15 AM UTC
    ID: 19180 | #5
    Jilly
    Level 115
    XP

I always just associated Fantasy with anything that someone wouldn't see in reality. So stuff like Star Wars or The Matrix I would consider not only Sci-fi but fantasy also.

4. Posted on Sep 2, 2007, 5:03:18 AM UTC
    ID: 19182 | #6
    Inqy
    Level 13
    XP

"So stuff like Star Wars or The Matrix I would consider not only Sci-fi but fantasy also."

That's an idea, actually. Keep the fantasy gallery as an overall generalization, then add galleries to it (like sci-fi, tolkien-ish things, etc).

5. Posted on Sep 2, 2007, 3:31:14 PM UTC
    ID: 19202 | #7
    Eshkenazi
    Level 9 LOCKED
    XP

Another thought I had:  Artwanted divides those categories into "Fantasy/mythical" and "Sci-fi/Fantasy" with the implication being that the "Fantasy/Mythical" is more for high fantasy and mythological stuff (like the ever popular 'goddess' art) while the "Sci-fi/fantasy" is more for modern fantasy and futuristic fantasy along with outright science fiction.

It's  close to what I already suggested...just different names.

6. Posted on Sep 24, 2008, 4:21:31 AM UTC
    ID: 22552 | #8
    pariahsdream
    Level 6
    XP

Speaking of categories....is there ANY way you could change the bisheun or whatever those anime terms are for pretty boys and pretty girls to male and female? I mean, what happens if  you draw an ugly man? Or an old woman? There's no categories for that. Being a little broader seems to make more sense to me than limiting it to a Japanese term. Especially if you don't know/don't fall under anime style arts.

Quick Reply

🔒 This topic is locked and is not accepting replies.